Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Filter Box - DIY

I had done this DIY 2 weeks ago. But I did not manage to post it coz too busy with my work.

Since changed to whale penis type air filter, no box was able to fit this ernomous size thing. Haha.. :P

So, I decided to DIY a box just to cover up and block some hot air from the engine. I hope it will gives a louder sound when VTEC kicks in. Hehe.. ;)

Measure and cut


Done



The results is...the VTEC sound really louder than previously. Maybe i will find a filter box that can suits in so that the roar is louder. Hahaha..:)

7 comments:

Vince said...

What lau.... you say now already louder.... still want more louder ah?
I prefer quiet, slow driver drives quiet car.

Koh said...

not bad wo... its a heat shield to prevent sucking more hot air.. great diy...

jimmy-aka-podz said...

Vince,
I need the loudness when VTEC engage. That's the 'roar'. I like that. So, when go slow, no sound la. Hehe...

Koh,
You are right. A good heat shield but I think I need to add metal sheet to get a better result. Currently just can shield off a little bit. You're an experienced guy. Hehehe...

ShuN said...

Mind if i ask you what kind of material you used for the heat shield?
Was it aluminium?

jimmy-aka-podz said...

I used normal material which you can find it in book store. Some sort of PVC but it can withstand heat. I'm not sure what is the material but for sure it is not aluminium. ;)

I thought of making another layer of aluminium to get a better heat shield result but too lazy. Maybe I will just mod the original filter box. :D

ShuN said...

It will certainly be better if aluminium is used.

Hmm, I too saw some ppl use back original box and channels the cold air from under the engine bay.
Can gain some horses there but then, vtec is quieter lol

jimmy-aka-podz said...

My friend modified the original box with CAI connected to the box. He claimed that very nice. Another friend of mine use the original box in his MIVEC and drill some hole on it to make it louder when MIVEC kicks in. :)

Will do some research...when I'm not lazy. Haha.. ;P