Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cold Air Intake - DIY

It's been long since I last updated my blog. My apologies. Hehe. :P

Well, yesterday I was on 'compulsary leave' made by my company. Since I did not upgrade or mod anything recently, I thought of DIY a Cold Air Intake (CAI) to get more cold air. Not sure if there is any differences but...well, just do it. Hehe..:)

In the morning, I went to Dunrite, an accessories shop at Falim, Ipoh. This shop has variety of performance parts and the price is reasonable too. So, I got this good deal for approximately 1 meter CAI hose with nice blue colored aluminium mouth.


1 meter CAI


I had seen people made a hole at the side at the bottom of the bumper to fit in CAI. According to some research, that area has a very high pressured. So, the air is better. I'm not planning to do so coz I don't want to cut hole at my bumper. :P

So, I stationed my CAI at the front area of the bumper. Need some time and thinking to put the 3 inch hose into that area. But I made it too.


mouth at the front bumper





Closer look - next to spotlight



After a day of installation, I felt that my ride had a better response. but I think it is just my imagination. Without dyno, nothing can be sure. :P

8 comments:

Vince said...

I was wondering since you place the CAI so low, would direct more dust or water to your air intake filter? Please do check if there is more dust capture a your whale 'filter'.
hehehehhe

jimmy-aka-podz said...

Whether you got CAI or not, dust will accumulate at your filter. That's the main function of your filter.

To avoid dust problem, you have 2 ways. Get yourself a good filter and clean it frequently or keep your car in a vacumn sealed place, then you won't get any dust at all. Hahaha...

Water?..Of coz no, coz it is not sealed off. The CAI is for directing more cold air into the area. Not directly attached to your filter. Hehehe..

Come have a look when you free. You will have a clearer picture. :P

metropro said...

IF water so happens to get into your engine then there will be another solid reason for a B18CR engine transplant :-)

jimmy-aka-podz said...

No need 3 same comments. Hahaha. It won't get any water in. You shud know this very well. Hehe. But in case it does...oh yeah..B18CR babe...hehehehe...

Koh said...

I had diy CAI on my previous ride too... i placed the hose just underneath the open pod.. it was so dam dirty... but who cares... air filter suppose to filter dust... however my swift will perform sluggish with open pod... stock air box is the best for stock swift...

jimmy-aka-podz said...

You tried out open pod for your swift? I think you can try to add CAI to your existing stock air box. It's always better to have more cold air, right? Hehe..

Koh said...

i didnt tried out... but some member tried out... open pod not suitable for slow auto car :P
current swift intake design was not bad actually...the air was fed from front bonnet area and it had a bell mouth design to provide more air surge effect too...

jimmy-aka-podz said...

Wow..Suzuki had done a great job on Swift.