Wednesday, January 27, 2010

EJ7 Headlamp Restoration - DIY

Most of the plastic material of the headlamp will become yellowish or blurred over a period of time. It happened to my 13 years old ride too. :P

Well, after some research through the Internet, I found that it can be cleaned...but needed some effort and risks involved. Therefore, I had consulted numerous people who is dealing with cars. Mainly car painter, mechanics and etc. Car painter's own car were having the same problem. He said he tried to polish with sand polisher but still failed. I told him my idea. He against it by saying it would not do much and most probably I'll make a hole at the headlamps. Hehe. :)

Well, I just go with my plan and did the headlamp restoration for my ride. ;)

Basically, you just need 3 grades of sandpaper(try to find the finest, used by car painters), water, masking tape, car polish or headlamp restorer and some patiences. :)

The defect...


Nearer view of the defect...


cover the side with masking tape...


after 1st attempt of sandpaper+water...


2nd attempt...


after 3rd attempt and polished...


polished again..



Well, after comparing the 1st photo of the defect with the last photo of the final result, I was quite satisfied with the result. :)
Now, the headlamps look much better compare to last time. ;P


P/S - Here, I would like to warn anyone that wish to attempt to DIY as what I did, please do it at your own risk. Don't blame me if your headlamp got a hole or you can't get the same result as mine cause every situation is different. ;)

3 comments:

Koh said...

Goody DIY... next time you can DIY put a projector fisheye inside the headlight too....

Unknown said...

no need to polish... buy a spray type polish... spray it and you will notice the yellowish liquid come out from the plastic material. Then only apply plastic polish. Result will be mush better. Try it out.. cheers.. I do it for my sentra but have to apply it for every 2 month to looking better....

jimmy-aka-podz said...

Koh,
Fisheye projector is hard to do. Headlamps need center alignment and lots of stuff. You actually can get aftermarket headlamps with projector. Hehe.

Ng,
Are Steve Ng? Hehe. For your case, the stain just started to appear, so, you can use those chemical to remove it. My case, there's a layer of clear coat which started to crack. So, it needs to be scrub off with sandpaper. Maybe after this, I can just use chemical every 2 months to bring back the shine. Hehe.