Monday, February 16, 2009

Simota Air Intake Piping - DIY Install

For the past few days, I kept searching the Internet for a good deal for air intake piping set. Found some aluminium normal piping but I wanted a 'whale penis'. That's what people calls it. :P

Then, found a place at Ipoh (my hometown) which selling it at a very attractive price. So, I went to the shop to have a look. When I asked the person in charge, which I thought was 1 of the boss there, he told me a price which is different from the advertisement. Way too high and with the same amount of money, I could get a carbon fibre 'whale penis' air intake. So, I told him that what I saw in the Net was different and he said that time was promotion price. What a great excuse. Then, I made a curious and thinking look. He saw me and he offered the same price as the advertisement, just for me (the last unit). Yahoo...immediately I said deal and I bought it.

Below are the steps that I took to fix it to my car. ;)

Tools need :
1) Phillips screwdriver
2) Spanner size 10

The stock air intake.


Open up the top cover. You can see the filter in it.


At the side, there are a few screws that you need to loosen to take out the bottom part of the box.


At the throttle body, loosen the clip that hold the piping. Then, pull it out carefully.

The whole set of stock air intake system. :P


The complete set of 'whale penis' air intake. :)


The manual. Always read the manual (if there is) before starts you work.


Put the clips to the place. The air filter and big to small connector (to join the pipe to throttle body)


Since everything came off, take the opportunity to clean your throttle body. Just wipe with cloth or add some solvent if needed.


Attach the connector to throttle body. Place the screw of the clip at a reachable area. Tighten the screw.


Then, attach the pipe (whale penis) and tighten the clip's screw.


Install the air filter and hand tight the clip. Later need to add the bracket to hold the pipe staticly.


Place the bracket under the clip and tighten it. The other end of the bracket goes to the chasis. Unscrew 1 of the screw and lock it tight.


The outcome. Gorgeous? I think so..haha..:)



After all installation done, start the car and check for any air leaking. Check for the intake performance as well to see if it is working perfectly. :)

Then, I brought the car for a test drive. Really impresive. The response are better and the sound when the Vtec 'kicks in' are much more louder. I like that sound a lot. Haha...:P

It is really worth it after all the pros that I gained. I hope my car did not run too lean. But the next step is to get an AFC to tune everything. ;)

1 comment:

CGS intake said...

Wow, that's nice. Good for you. I have been looking for that kind of intake too for which I can't find.