Monday, February 16, 2009

SO4 Boss Kit- DIY Install

Earlier when I changed the steering, I noticed that the boss kit had cracked. Due to safety concern, I tried to get a replacement for it. Quite hard to get what I wished for. I thought getting a fully aluminium and higher type of boss kit. Saw an advertisement online and it was stated that 'fully aluminium'. I was so happy and bought it. When the part arrived, I was so dissapointed bcoz it was not fully aluminium. It was just steel with chrome finished at top part and the bottom part was the same material as normal boss kit. WTF...:(

Then, I just had to leave my wish behind and get a replacement boss kit as soon as possible due to safety concern. So, I bought a normal boss kit.

Here below, I listed out the steps by steps for all of you if you wish to change the boss kit on your own. :P

Tools needed :
1) a 'T' wrench size 19 ( you can get it at the back of your car, if your car have it)
2) Allen key
3) Phillip screwdriver


Make sure the wheels are in a straight line (not the steering wheel). Open up whatever covered the screws. But don't loosen the screws yet.


Use the screwdriver and slowly pry out the button horn.


Unplug the horn wire, use the 'T' wrench size 19 to unscrew the center nut. Use your imagination on how to hold the steering or ask someone to help you. :P


This is how the boss kit looks like. :)


The cracked line. (Top view)


Another view of cracked line. (side view)


Then, just open up all the screws on the steering wheel with the Allen key. Install the new boss kit to the steering shaft and hand tight the center nut. Then, put the steering wheel at the boss kit and aligned as center as possible and fasten the screws. Then, tighten the center nut with the appropriate force. Reattach the button horn wire and install it back to the center hole. Test the horn if it is functioning well.

The result


Bring your car for a straight line test. Just make the car go in straight, and see what's the position of the steering wheel. It must be align properly with the wheels. If it didn't suit you, redo everything. :P

After a few times doing it, you will be like a profesional trained mechanic. :)


2 comments:

Vince said...

Whale Penis..... Now your car really go straight (Erected). Very good DIY.
Saw you that day at 1st Garden, u did not see me because I am driving my wife's Kenari :).
How much did you pay for the intake?

jimmy-aka-podz said...

Haha..how hard my car 'erected' also can not compare to yours la..yours is 'big' V and mine just small little v. :P

I saw you once, but maybe you saw my more than once. haha..

Special price RM230. No more offer liao. When you go Sepang or Cameron for touge? Can I join ah? Just to see how great is your 'baby' and broaden my knowledge a bit. Hehe..:)